Quality Matters- Certificates of Completion (QM Rubric Workshop/Peer Review Workshop/ ADA Accessibility Workshop) (2016)
Project Management InstituteSeminar - Certificate of training (2003)
DePaul University, Chicago IL - Graduate coursework in Marketing (1985)
Webster University,St. Louis MO - MA in Management and Human Relations (1983)
American Management Association(AMA) - Seminar studies in management (1982)
Army Personnel SchoolFt. Harrison IN - Diploma, Personnel and Organizational Administration (1980)
Pacific Lutheran University,Tacoma WA - Graduate coursework in Music Composition (1979)
Army School of Music,Norfolk VA - Diploma, Performance (bass) (1978)
Berklee College of Music,Boston - Bachelor of Music in Composition (1976)
Private Instructionwith Dr. Hugo Norden - Counterpoint; Michael Gibbs, Jazz Composition (1975)
Columbia College Chicago(August 2011- 2015) Associate Professor - Music Department
ColumbiaCollegeChicago (February1997- 2011) Associate Professor - Arts Entertainment Media Management Program (AEMMP)
Duties (2008 -2011): classroom instruction and advising
Duties (1999 - 2008): Coordinate the music business concentration to include supervising fourteen instructors
· Develop and coordinate the Computer Uses For Managers curriculum to include interviewing and hiring part-time instructors
· Teach music production and music business classes
· Advise undergraduate and graduate students to include the development of Graduate Thesis
National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum (October 2003 -October 2004) Executive Director
Columbia College Chicago
(September 1996 - January 1997) Artist-in-Residence - Sound and Management Department
(September 1990 - September1996) Artist-In-Residence- Music Department
· Wrote curriculum and taught related classes
· Department Coordinator for the multi-section Music Workshop class for Freshmen
· Instructor of Harmony and Ear Training, Orchestration and Music Theory
(September 1989 - May 1990) Part-time faculty, Music Department - Instructor of Introduction to Music Theory
Sherwood Conservatory of Music - (February 1987 - December 1989) Music Instructor/ Jazz &Commercial Music Coordinator
· Private instructions - Guitar, Jazz Harmony, Jazz History
· Creator and Director of the Sherwood Conservatory of Music Jazz ensemble program
· Rehearsing/Conducting: Composed, arranged and conducted jazz, rock/pop and seasonal music for the jazz ensemble
· Community Service: Sherwood Jazz Ensemble performed for community-based organizations to include performances at commercial banks
· Founded and developed the curriculum for commercial music Studies
United States Army Reserve (February 1990 - December 1994) Army Warrant Officer Bandmaster Northeastern Illinois University(1984) Part-time faculty - Developed and taught a course in Jazz Harmony
United States Regular Army (February 1977 - February 1987) Captain, Adjutant Generals Corp.
Berklee College of Music(June,1976 - December,1977) Part-time instructor-Taught jazz harmony and ensemble performance.
Gallery Owner/Photographer KimoPics - Working studio and photo gallery in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, features original photography – (2018 – Present)
· Faces of Vietnam– Images captured in Vietnam during a military tour in 1970 and upon returning in 1998, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2010
· Ice on The Potomac- Images from a winter day in Shepherdstown West Virginia
· On Tour with The USO- Images capturing while touring the world with the Lt. Dan Band and the USO
· You and Your A Flag- Images of people interacting with the American Flag during a New York 9/11 memorial marathon
Music Publisher- One Omik Music - BMI/ Harry Fox Publications
· Conceptualizing American Popular Music Within a Cultural Paradigm - Textbook(2017)
· Applied Music Theory For Managers Engineers Producers and Artists -Textbook (2014)
· The Digital Producer - Professional Paper for Berklee Alumni Newsletter (2001)
· Classical Music in Chicago - Professional Research Paper for the Newberry Library and their History of Chicago Encyclopedia (1995)
· Diagonal Harmony - Manuscript, a new concept in compositional harmony(unpublished).
· The Evolving Symphony Orchestra - Professional paper presented at the Columbia College Arts and Collaborations Symposium (1995), published in Christian Science Monitorand Symphony Magazine
· Published music scores and arrangements
Commercial Record Company - Little Beck Music (LBM) Producer and Engineer.
· Kimo and the Paumalu Symphony- War Storiesfeaturing Mike Stern, Victor Bailey, and others. (four½ stars from Downbeat)
· Kimotion- A Streetcar Named Desire, (music composed for the Steppenwolf Theater production).
· Kimo Williams and Kimotion- Tracking, with Michael Brecker, Vinnie Colaiuta, Victor Bailey, actor Gary Sinise, and other nationally recognized jazz artists.
· Kimo Williams and Kimotion- Kimotion Live(2001)
· James Kimo WilliamsCD-Symphony For The Sons of Nam-Three symphonies performed by the St. Petersburg (Russian) Symphony includes Symphony For The Sons of Nam, Fanfare For Life, and Buffalo Soldiers(2005)
Engineer/Owner - Recording facility (LBM Recording Studio) - Constructed and managed a commercial music recording facility.
Multi-Media Development and Productions(LBM Multimedia) Now Little Beck LLC (LBLLC). Developed, and produce multi-media projects
Productions: Multimedia Shorts for Cable Access Television in Chicago; interactive web-based music courses, PSAs for not-for-profits
Photography: Cort Guitar(Brochure), Music Publisher Hudson Press(Evolution of Jazz Drumming) and photo published in Smithsonianmagazine.
Music production services (LBM Productions) (Now Little Beck LLC (LBLLC)
Musical group performances - Created and performed with music ensembles,
· Lt. Dan Banddoing USO shows (2004-2012)
· Kimotion(2002 – 2008) (25-member ensemble) touring Malibu, Wisconsin, Chicago and Vietnam (conducted and performed on bass and guitar)
· Kimo Williams Band(2012-2015)- Performing for military and Veterans
Compose music for theater and dance.
· Affection- ballet performed by the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago (June 1997)
· Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - Musical Director at the Goodman Theater (1997) (receivedpositivereviewfromtheWallStreetJournal)
· A Street Car Named Desire -Composed music for The Steppenwolf Theaters production (1997) (Received positive reviews relating to the music)
· Mozart's' Don Giovanni and Marriage of Figaro- instrumental orchestral arrangement for Fanfare/IntersoundRecords' Enhanced CD release - release date May 1996
Executive Director, United States Veterans Arts Program- Provides Artistic Tools (musical instruments, art supplies, cameras, computers) to military soldiers and Veterans Medical Facilities
Arts Management Consultant/Instructor- Developed and implemented a web-based marketing instructional platform for the Sibelius Academyin Helsinki Finland (2007)
Co-founder/Musical Director-The Lt. Dan Bandwith co-founder actor /musician Gary Sinise (2003-2012)
Arts Management Consultant (panelist) - State of Illinois Arts Council(2000), Adjudicate grant applications
Adjudicator - State of Michigan's Arts Council, (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005)- Conducted on-site evaluations of musical arts organizations and provided detailed assessment reports on submitted grant proposals.
Consultant- City of Chicago Commissionto Establish a Vietnam War Memorial: Designed the Logo with artist Gary Tinney and suggested the phrase "Chicago Remembers" which was eventually inscribed (2005)
Photographer- As a photographer, works have won several awards dating back to early 1980s. Images have been featured in the Smithsonian Magazine and at the National Vietnam Arts Museum in Chicago.
Juried Photograph Selections:
· The Berkeley Arts Center in West Virginia (2018)
· The Scarab Club in Detroit MI (2018)
· Cooperstown Arts Association in New York (2018)
Purpose Prize Fellow- Selected as a 2015 Purpose Prize Fellow, recognizing social innovators over 60 (2015)
Fulbright Specialist 2017-2014 and 2015-2020
Vietnam Veterans of America, Recipient - Excellence in the Arts Award (August 2014)
Columbia College Chicago, Recipient - Faculty Development Award (January 2014)
People To People International,Recipient - Presidents Award (2010)
Chicago Magazine, Recipient - Chicagoan of The Year (2006)
National Endowment for The Arts Continental Harmony Project, Winner- Commission, A Symphony of Place (2001)
Columbia College Chicago, Recipient – Faculty Development Award (2001)
Detroit Symphony, Finalist - African American Composers Competition, Buffalo Soldiers, (2000)
Lancaster Symphony, 38th Recipient Composers award for contributions to American Music, (1999)
Illinois Arts Council, Composer Fellowship Award (1999)
Dictionary of Black Composers, Selected - One of 200 composers selected for inclusion, (1999)
Columbia College Chicago, Recipient - Faculty Development Award (1998)
African American Academy of Arts and Letters, Induction (1996)
Columbia College Chicago,Finalist -Teacher of the Year (1996)
Detroit Symphony, Finalist - Black Composers Competition - Symphony For The Sons of Nam (1991)
Savannah Symphony, Winner- Black Composers Competition - Symphony For The Sons of Nam(1991)
League of Black Women, The Black Rose Award, Recipient - for service to the community (1989)
Fort Sheridan Photography Contest, Winner - Won first and second prize (1983)
National Music Publishers Association, (NMPA) - One Omik Music Publisher - Member (Present)
National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences NARAS- Current member, Past Governor/Vice-president
Broadcast Music Incorporated(BMI) - Current Writer/Publisher Member
United States Service Organization (USO)- Past Board Member
National Association Record Industry Professionals (NARIP) - Past Member
Project Management Institute - Past Member
Chicago Youth Symphony- Past Board Member
National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum - Past board member
National Association of Music Merchants(NAMM) - Past Member
international association of Jazz Educators (IAJE) - Past Member
Bandmaster Commander(1989 -1994) - US Army Reserve Warrant Officer and Commander of the 85th Division Band at Fort Sheridan IL
Captain- US Army Administration Corps (1980-1989) - Marketing Officer-For the Chicago Recruiting District of the US Army Recruiting initiatives: Responsibilities included developing marketing strategies, evaluating advertising efforts and recommending alternative advertising to include media buys for specific markets (1983-1986)
US Army Bandsman(1978-1980) - Performed on guitar, electric bass and percussion as a musician for the US Army
Vietnam Veteran(1970) - Combat Engineer, Received Vietnam Cross of Gallantry awarded by the Vietnam Government, Army Commendation Medal (2).
Married to Carol Williams (1977), Daughter - Rebecca Williams, Ph.D.
Reside in Shepherdstown, West Virginia.